Queen's University

Queen's University Queen's University




About 2,200 Queen's students per year go abroad for independent study, internships, field trips and other activities.

Education Abroad Experiences

Globalize your education and experience life in a different country

Make your Queen’s experience international through work, volunteering, credit or non-credit studies and internships, or directed travel in another country.

Semester or Year Abroad

A 3-4 month (one semester) or a full academic-year program abroad through which a student obtains credit from his/her home institution.

Departmental study abroad pages:

Work, Volunteer, Internship Abroad

A placement abroad, usually working in a pseudo-professional capacity, where the primary motivation is educational. Internships may be credit or non-credit, paid or unpaid.


  • The Washington Center: Students participate in a substantial, non-clerical internship at a private and public sector organization, and at the same time, combine the internship experience with course work and activities related to a professional area of interest.


  • Alternative Practicum: The Alternative Practicum, completed by BEd candidates in March each year, may be done abroad and students can apply for funding from the faculty for travel abroad. Hundreds of teacher candidates have completed international placements in more than 75 partner countries over the past 15 years, in international schools as well as institutions such as museums, galleries, hospitals and theatres. See the Faculty of Education for more...

Engineering and Applied Science

  • Several Queen's engineering students each year find summer work through IAESTE, usually in Western Europe.
  • Engineers Without Borders offers volunteer and junior fellowship placements.

Health Sciences

Student Initiatives

[students in Japan]
Two Queen’s engineering students (John Lenz and Victoria Clark, pictured, right) spent a week in Nagoya and Tokyo through the Japan-Canada Student Forum (JACAC) – a yearly forum, hosted alternately in Japan and Canada, that brings students together for cross-cultural exchange. Read about the 2016 trip...

Field School, Field Study or Trip

A field school is a structured group-learning experience which takes place outside the classroom in a location which acts as a "home base" for studies. Learning centres around topics which are enhanced by the resources (cultural, environmental or academic) available at or near the field school location. Similar to a field school, a field study or trip but usually of shorter duration and not confined to a single base destination.


  • Kwansei Gakuin University Cross-Cultural College (Japan): Canadian and Japanese undergraduate students take courses with an emphasis on multiculturalism and international studies. Canadian student participants study in Japan for at least one week. Some program expenses are subsidized.

Department of Art History and Art Conservation

[Archeological dig in Caere, Italy]Department of Biology

Department of Classics

Department of Geography and Planning

Global Development Studies

Queen's Bader International Study Centre (BISC)

[students on field trip]

Located at Herstmonceux Castle in the heart of East Sussex (just south of London), Queen's "castle" is a home-away-from-home for students from all over the world who go there to share an unparalleled educational experience, enhanced by the deep history and multicultural possibilities present in the region, the country, and the continent.

A number of institutions around the world have agreements with the BISC to send their students to the castle for Queen's upper-year programs.

Summer School

Visiting Students

Visiting research scholars: School of Graduate Studies - International Students and Partnerships

Health Sciences: Undergraduate Medical Education visiting student electives program

Letter of Permission

A letter of permission allows students to temporarily transfer to another institution and have course credits transferred back to their home institution. Tuition and fees are paid to the host institution. Available to all Queen’s students at undergraduate and graduate level for going on exchange, or international visiting researchship, or as a visiting research student.

Arts and Science: Visiting students on a letter of permission may apply for non-degree studies in the Faculty of Arts and Science. Courses are currently restricted to those offered online through Continuing and Distance Studies, and at the Bader International Study Centre.

  • 4781381360 2018-02-22
  • 8351781359 2018-02-22
  • 9022401358 2018-02-22
  • 1531211357 2018-02-22
  • 153151356 2018-02-22
  • 864691355 2018-02-22
  • 4154211354 2018-02-22
  • 752701353 2018-02-22
  • 8507021352 2018-02-22
  • 262671351 2018-02-21
  • 7331561350 2018-02-21
  • 218891349 2018-02-21
  • 9334931348 2018-02-21
  • 8834311347 2018-02-21
  • 2356311346 2018-02-21
  • 9506731345 2018-02-21
  • 6918141344 2018-02-21
  • 9396121343 2018-02-21
  • 1014971342 2018-02-21
  • 5448481341 2018-02-21